Almondsbury 0 Warminster Town 3

Having lost 5-2 at Almondsbury FC in The Les Phillips Cup less than two weeks ago, Warminster Town needed to be better to win this match. Warminster took the game to the home side from the kickoff and, unlike the previous encounter, prevented them from making much progress down the flanks. 

The back four worked in harmony and swept up the balls that did get through. Midfield saw Mortimer-Taylor and Bartley work hard with Seviour to hustle the Almondsbury players into making mistakes. The whole team mirrored this tenacity; when not in possession, they exerted their presence on any player in a green shirt who had the ball. This paid off with a 3-0 win to the Red & Blacks. 

The opening goal came in the first half in the 27th minute, courtesy of Seth Wain. Using his left foot, Wain drove the ball from around the 18-yard line thanks to the cross from Vincent on the left, and it volleyed into the right of Almondsbury’s goal.

Warminster looked comfortable in possession throughout the first half and always looked to regain the ball when they weren’t. There were few opportunities for Almondsbury to even look dangerous due to the work rate and skill shown in winning back the ball. 

In the second half, Warminster began to create more chances. Wain was fouled (57’) outside the area, Cockerill struck the free-kick on target, but the keeper saved it. Seconds later, Cockerill again had one cleared off the line, which Mortimer-Taylor followed up and had his shot blocked in the box. This was good football from Warminster Town, and the home side was finding it difficult to deal with.

The second goal came from a corner kick in the 63rd minute. Mortimer-Taylor’s in-swinger from Warminster’s left was met by Cockerill, who headed across the goal and into the back of the net. 

The final goal made it a brace for Seth Wain. Warminster’s goalkeeper, Sam Thomson, found Wain well inside Almondsbury’s half. The ball bounced, and Wain collected on the 18-yard line, chipped the keeper but hit the left post. The ball rebounded, and Wain tucked it home at the second attempt with 10 minutes left on the clock.

In summary, a good performance by Warminster and a vital 3 points to keep them in the race for one of the top positions in the league table. It was also good to see the return of Henry McFerran, who has had a long time out due to injury, and he came off the bench for the final minutes. 

Team: Thomson, Humphreys(s), Cockerill, Jeffery, Graham, Bartley, Vincent(s), Mortimer-Taylor, Johnson, Wain, Seviour(s)

Subs: (used) Butler, McFerran, Gardner

(unused) De Silva, Lisowski

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *