Chard Town 3 Warminster Town 3

Warminster Town travelled to Chard for the first game of 2019, after an excellent festive period which saw Warminster collect seven points from a possible nine. Chard Town were a comfortable third in the league table so this would be a stern test for the visitors.

The first thirty minutes were fairly even with both keepers having little to deal with, Warminster’s keeper Crabtree was possibly the busier, having to deal with Chard’s secret weapon…..the long throw!

Jack Miluk gave Warminster the lead on the half-hour mark, good work in the six-yard box saw Miluk conjure up enough space to get his shot away and plant it in the far bottom corner giving Scott Wells-Burr no chance. The lead was short lived as Warminster failed to defend a corner which was flicked on at the near post, poor marking saw Ryan Parris appear at the far post for a simple tap in. 

The second half started, and Warminster were behind after just three minutes, after countless opportunities to clear the ball from the penalty box the ball once again dropped to Ryan Parris who gratefully accepted the gift and planted the ball past Carl Crabtree.

Manager Andy Crabtree introduced Connor McKay into the game, and this sparked the visitors into life which forced Chard on the back foot. Captain Charlie Walton’s thumping volley from the edge of the penalty area gave Wells-Burr no chance and levelled up the scoreline.

From the restart Chard retook the lead, Warminster gave away a throw in which Andrew Holmes hurled into the penalty area, the defence failed to deal with the loose ball, and once again Warminster were behind. Warminster got back on level terms in the seventy-fifth minute with George Butler’s fantastic header from Eben Mortimer-Taylors precise free kick.

Martin Johnson had a great opportunity to seal all three points for Warminster when his shot from just outside the six-yard box bounced off the post, and somehow Chard scrambled the ball to safety. The final ten minutes were frantic with both teams going for the win, but the final whistle sounded with honours even. 

On reflection, a draw was a fair result, but Warminster will be kicking themselves as they scored three excellent goals but unfortunately conceded two soft goals from set plays. 

Team: Carl Crabtree, Ryan Baggs, Harry Barnes, Jordan De Silva, Lewis Graham, Joel Sisson, George Butler, Eben Mortimer-Taylor, Charlie Walton, Jack Miluk, Martin Johnson, Jake Wright, Sam Wright, Connor McKay.

The next game is not until Saturday, January 19th at Weymouth Street, Warminster when the visitors will be Bishops Lydeard.

Article by Rob McFerran – assistant manager Warminster Town FC

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *