Oldland Abbotonians 0 Warminster Town 2

It was the season’s penultimate game, and Warminster travelled to Oldland Abbotonians looking to strengthen their position within the league table. With a two-nil win and Wincanton drawing their game, Warminster moved up into second place. A good solid performance from Warminster against an able Abbotonians side made for an entertaining game. 

Both sides played well, and there wasn’t too much to separate them in the first period of the half. However, Warminster started to create better chances. The swirling wind added interest, and a very long ball bouncing around the 18-yard was carried dangerously towards Warminster’s goal and required Thomson to be alert and tip the ball over the bar (12min). In the first 25 minutes, Warminster forced a few saves and saw shots go wide. McKay’s opening goal (29th minute) was beautifully volleyed at close range into the net after receiving the ball from Mortimer-Taylor’s well-aimed free-kick.  

In the 38th minute, Mortimer-Taylor was given another free-kick to take from a similar position on Warminster’s right. This time he went direct for goal, and the ball was on target heading for the top corner. Oldland’s keeper pulled off a great save to prevent a doubling of the score-line. 

With a minute of normal time, Thomson, too, had to pull off a good save from a close-range shot at his near post to keep the clean sheet. When the halftime whistle blew, Warminster would be pleased with the effort and work rate and look to capitalise on that in the second half.

The Red & Blacks were the first out of the dressing room after the break and made a change as Gardner carrying an injury, was replaced by Wain, a player coming back from injury. 

The second goal was not long in coming. It came in the 52nd minute when an Oldland backward pass from just inside Warminster’s half was missed by the intended Oldland player, Warminster’s Martin Johnson, back-heeled the ball to Butler, who then ran on unchallenged into the 18-yard box and calmly slotted the ball past the keeper’s outstretched right leg.

Warminster continued to press and did not sit back on their lead but couldn’t get the third goal on this occasion. The 75 fans in attendance enjoyed the match and the spirit in which it was played and Oldland lie currently in 11th place also with one match remaining. Warminster now looks forward to playing 15th placed Gillingham Town at Weymouth Street on Saturday, April 30th. 

Team: Thomson, Graham, Cockerill, Jeffery(c), De Silva, Humphreys, Gardner(s), Mortimer-Taylor, Johnson, Butler, McKay(s)

Subs (used) Wain, Miluk, Morris

(unused) Seviour, McFerran

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *