The New Boys Win!

The second home game of the season saw the arrival of the newly promoted Legeq United, who play their games in Almondsbury, Bristol. This is a team formed in 2008 as a Sunday League side but has progressed rapidly through the leagues to be where they are now. After a good start to the match, the final half-hour saw Warminster make mistakes which allowed Lebeq to go on and win the game 1 – 2.

It has to be noted that the pitch is looking really good with the appointment of Graham Kitly to look after it. A great deal of work has been done to raise the standard this season and to make it one of the best playing surfaces in the league.

Both sides started brightly but the home team looked overall a better side and started to create chances to score. Captain Charlie Walton tried a cheeky shot 40 yards out which went over the bar. Lebeq had a couple of chances afterwards in the first 15 minutes, the first requiring a save by Carl Crabtree and the second blocked by central defender Lewis Graham.

In the 24th minute, a free-kick by Ashton Shanley was charged down by Lebeq and the rebound was fired home by Graham forcing the keeper to dive to his left and put the ball out around his post. Francois Allen had to go off as he was feeling ill and replaced by Eban Mortimer-Taylor. 

The opening goal came shortly after in the 31st minute when Ashton Shanley was taking a superb free-kick from around 20 yards out and found the top right corner of the goal with no one able to get even close to prevent him scoring.

Warminster continued to press and Walton in the 36th minute had a shot blocked just in front of goal. A couple of minutes later he picked up a yellow card. Warminster had a scare when on 41 minutes Lebeq went close when a free-kick was headed just wide by Sheldon Sawyers. Halftime came with the home side taking a 1 – 0 lead into the dressing room.

Warminster resumed the second-half and created great pressure on the visitors goal. Just 4 minutes into the half, Walton passed to Miluk on the left who beat the defenders and crossed the ball across the face of the goal to James Vincent barely a yard out and clear to score. Unbelievably Vincent although getting a touch on the ball failed to get it over the line and it went out for a goal kick.

2 minutes later Warminster had a corner which Lewis Graham headed down and was saved by the keeper, the rebound fired back in and was blocked by a United defender. At this point, it looked to be only a matter of time before the home side would increase their lead. Time after time the Red & Blacks came forward in the opening 15 minutes but failed to score. 

In the 63rd minute Ryan Baggs was brought down by Legeq’s number 7, McCarthy who received a yellow card. Just one minute later the offending player all-too-easily broke through down their left side and shot low from a tight angle to the left of Carl Crabtree. Lebeq were now firmly back in the game and created more chances one which required a fine save by Crabtree.

Lebeq’s winning goal in the 87th minute also came from McCarthy in a similar fashion to his first. The home team’s defense on this occasion made it once again easy for him to get through which for a defence that has been doing well was disappointing. Overall it was an entertaining game, one which Warminster should have won in the first hour of play had the chances been put away. No doubt they will look to make amends on the away trip to Portishead on Saturday, August 24th.

Team: Crabtree, Baggs, Barnes, Graham, McFerran, Churchyard, Miluk, Walton, Allen, Vincent, Shanley.

Subs (*used) Lisowski, Ball, De-Silva, Baggs*, Mortimer-Taylor*

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *