Warminster Town 0 Longwell Green Sports 3

After a courageous performance in the FA Vase, there was hope that Warminster Town would be able to reproduce that form in the league. However, this was not to be. Top of the league, Longwell Green Sports came away with a three-goal victory with no goals from the home side.

The visitors got off to a flying start with their opening goal in under thirty seconds. A throw-in on the left, halfway inside Warminster’s half resulted in two passes that found Liam Oswin in the box, and his low shot found the right-hand corner of the home side’s goal.

The second goal came in the 7th minute when a ball through the middle was attacked by Oswin this time Nathan Ball pulled off a diving save, but the parried ball was put away by number 10, Conor Britton this time into the opposite corner to the first goal.

A shell-shocked Warminster battled and settled down but lacked any serious attempt on goal in this first half. It looked like the tide could turn in the second half when with just a couple of minutes to go in the first half Longwell Green’s defender, Chris Alway received a second yellow card and had his marching orders to the dressing room.

Despite facing just ten men, Warminster could not get those elusive goals. Things got worse when Nathan Ball failed to clear a backpass quickly enough and had it robbed off his feet by substitute Dan Carter, who placed the ball into the back of the net in the 77th minute.

It certainly was a ‘bad day at the office’ as described on the official Warminster Town Twitter account, @warminstertnfc. Warminster now faces an away trip to Wincanton Town on Saturday, January 25th. The next home game is on February 1st when Wells City will be the visitors, kickoff 3.00 pm.

Team: Ball, Baggs*, De Silva*, Jeffery, Graham, Lisowski, Miluk, McKay*, Allen, Pawley, Barnes

Subs (*used) McFerran*, Fletcher*, Shanley*, Crabtree

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *