Warminster Town 3 Bristol Telephones 0

With no more home games for a month, Warminster was looking to please the home crowd of 140 with an entertaining football game. The home side was undoubtedly playing better than in recent games. There was more movement and passing throughout the game. Bristol Telephones caused several heart-stopping moments for the home side’s fans but failed to put the ball in the back of the net. The goals for Warminster Town all came in the second half and sealed a 3-0 win.

Both sides had opportunities to score in the opening half and saw shots go just wide of the uprights and, in several instances, well over the bar. The trees along Weymouth Street were struck several times to prevent the ball from rolling down the hill towards Morrisons!

In the 5th minute, Graham shot just wide of the left post, and 3 minutes later, so did Miluk. In the 24th minute, Miluk once again fired just wide of the same post. This was the last effort he would have due to injury, and he was substituted for Gardner on the half-hour mark.  Ten minutes before the end of normal time, Lewis Graham had another shot go agonisingly wide, this time of the right post. Fortunately, a free-kick on 45+4 by Bristol Telephones went wide of Thomson’s goal. This first half, although goalless, was entertaining with shots from both sides enough to draw gasps of breath from the supporters.

The second-half resumed, and on 49 minutes, Gardner clean through on goal watched his effort bounce off the upright. Once again, though, Bristol Telephones created chances, and in the 65th minute, another opportunity went just wide of Warminster’s goal post. 

McKay came on as a sub, and shortly after, he burst down the left-wing, cut into the box and found Graham, whose shot found the right side of the net (68mins). Due to a couple of injuries, there would be quite an amount of additional time to play. On 93 minutes, a free-kick from Jeffery was flicked on by McKay towards the goal. Wain rushed in and headed home at close range.

The third goal was courtesy of a penalty when Wain once again on the attack made space to shoot and was brought down. Up stepped the ever-reliable penalty taker, Ian Jeffery, and he made it a 95th-minute goal, blasting the ball down the middle to beat the keeper.

With all rival teams winning on the day, the positions for all top four teams remain the same, with Warminster Town retaining second place. They will face the league leader, Sherborne Town, on Saturday, March 19th. This will be a massive game for both sides, who drew 0-0 last time.

Team: Thomson, Pollock, Humphreys, Jeffery, De Silva, Miluk(s), Seviour, Graham, Vincent(s)

Subs: (used) Gardner, McKay

(unused) McFerran, Mortimer-Taylor

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *