Warminster Town 3 – Cheddar FC 0

Warminster Town welcomed league leaders Cheddar to Weymouth Street on Saturday afternoon. Cheddar had only lost two league games all season and hence why they are top of the league table, and it would need a polished performance from Warminster to take anything from the game, and so it proved to be.

The opening twenty minutes saw the visitors very much in charge, and most of the footballing action was in the Warminster half. For all of the possession Cheddar had, Nathan Ball had little to do, and as the first half unfolded the home side grew more into the game.

In the 25th minute, Warminster had their first chance of the game after Jack Miluk’s cross was headed just wide by George Butler. Miluk gave the home side the lead 5 minutes later after a good advantage played by the referee saw him skip past the left back and drilled the ball past Jackson the Cheddar shot-stopper.

Two minutes before the interval Miluk once again tormented the left back and ruthlessly fired home to give Warminster a healthy two-goal lead at half time.

Two minutes after the restart Miluk had a great chance to increase the lead further when one on one with the keeper, but he got caught in two minds, and somehow Jackson got a hand to his shot.

Connor McKay was next up, but his effort was cleared off the line by the defender. George Butler sealed all three points for Warminster in the 75th minute after Jackson went walkabout and Butler out jumped Manford at the far post and planted his header into the back of the net, much to the delight of the hometown faithful.

This result was very much a team effort, Johnson and McKay didn’t give the visiting defenders a minutes peace and ably backed up by Churchyard, Mortimer-Taylor, Miluk and Butler, Cheddar simply couldn’t get their free-flowing style of football into the game.

The back four of De Silva, Graham, Barnes and Baggs were in impeccable form, and Cheddar simply couldn’t find a way through. The final whistle sounded, and Warminster thoroughly deserved the three points.

Team: Ball, Baggs, Barnes, De Silva (c), Graham, Miluk, Butler, Mortimer-Taylor, Churchyard, McKay, Johnson, Herd, Lisowski, Pollock.

Match Report: Rob McFerran

Photos: Scott Drysdale

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *