Warminster Town 4 Bishops Lydeard 1

With added confidence following wins in the first 2 games of the season, Warminster welcomed Bishops Lydeard to Weymouth Street on Saturday, September 12th. Another good attendance of 168 enjoyed a highly entertaining game of football.

It was a competitive game of football with Bishops Lydeard, having lost their opening 2 games, were pressing for a win. The home side though had other ideas and ran out 4-1 winners.

It was a game played at a high tempo, and Warminster pressed and generally passed well with some good moves. Francois Allen opened the scoring in the 18th minute. Barnes sent a long ball down the left touchline, Allen beat the challenge, cut in a little towards goal and shot low, beating the keeper.

The second goal came in the 27th minute from a corner kick taken by Jeffery on the right. It was met on the far side of the goal by Joel Sisson who brought the ball down and right-footed it home. For a moment it looked as if a defender behind the goal line had cleared the ball. However, it had crossed the line, 2-0.

Allen went close again (34) and had a shot cleared off the line. A minute later, Sisson was denied his second, when a headed ball was cleared off the line. on 45+1 The Bishops had a shot from 18 yards out, which called for a terrific save from Callum Hotine, diving high to his left to prevent the ball going into the top corner of his net.

The second-half also produced some good football from both sides, but once again the home side created the better chances. It took 21 minutes for Warminster to score in this half (67) when Jack Miluk placed the ball in the net from close range, a poachers goal.

Bishops Lydeard pulled one back in the 72nd minute, against the run of play when Roberts ran into the penalty area, Jeffery tried to tackle but failed to win the ball and Hotine came out and was rounded by Robertson to score easily.

Hotine pulled off another superb save (77) from a long-range shot tipping the ball over the crossbar.

The final goal (85) was Allen’s second. Barnes took a free-kick, the ball deflected off the wall reaching feet of Allen. On the edge of the box, Allen turned, shot and the ball appeared to be easily saveable but somehow slipped under the keeper to make it 4-1.

Team: Hotine, Sisson, Barnes, Jeffery, De Silva, Churchyard*, Miluk, Pawley*, Allen, Wain*, Butler
Subs (*used) Johnson*, Lisowski*, Mandson, Seviour*, Bartley

Next match: Saturday, September 19th Tavistock AFC v Warminster Town, the quarter-final of the Les Phillips Cup.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *