Warminster Town v Bishops Lydeard

It was touch and go due to the heavy rain if this game would go ahead. With less than an hour to kickoff, the referee monitored the situation and eventually agreed that the heaviest of the rain had passed and the game could start.

Bishops Lydeard playing in their light blue away kit started the day just 5 points behind the home side. Back in October Warminster came from 1 – 0 behind to beat the Bishops 2 -1 and no doubt the visitors wanted to make amends for that result. This time though there were no goals for Bishops Lydeard and Warminster won this game 2 – 0 with the goals coming in the first half.

The first half was a good solid performance from Warminster who were creating chances within the opening minutes. The first goal came in the 10th minute when Eben Mortimer-Taylor crossed in from the left wing to find the head of captain Charlie Walton who had made a great run down the centre of the pitch and got in front of the defender. Walton cleverly headed the ball downwards and it went under the diving keeper, Nathan Whatley.

Another chance soon followed for Conner McKay who forced the Bishops keeper into a save and Walton went close again in the 16th minute with a long-range shot which curled just wide of the left post. Jordan De Silva also headed towards goal from a Mortimer-Taylor free kick 6 minutes later but it was comfortably saved by the Bishops keeper.

Bishops Lydeard were trying to knock the ball over the Warminster defence and then run on to it. For the most part, the home side’s defenders cut out the ball or the opposition were offside when it got through. It was the 26th minute before the visitors had a shot on goal which was from 25 yards out and wide of Nathan Ball’s left-hand post. 3 minutes later the visitors went agonisingly close when a long ball down the left was picked up by the aptly named James Quick who lobbed Nathan Ball and the shot went across the goal mouth and bounced just wide of the far post and out for a goal kick.

The second goal came in the 38th minute following a corner from the right which went over everyone’s heads but then Lewis Graham with a low drive back from the left found Conner McKay who fired home from close range in the centre of the goal mouth.

The second half kicked off with still a lot of moisture in the air and the pitch obviously was more cut up because of the weather but still playable. Both sides had an early opportunity but unable to convert. Warminster went on to create more chances but again without a reward.

What was striking in this match was the referee’s love of yellow! He produced several yellow cards in the first half and increased his tally to double figures in the second. The majority of the yellow cards awarded to Warminster. This was not a dirty game and with the pitch being wet did cause a few of the sliding tackles to go wrong, however, some of the cards issued were not deserved and Warminster’s Lewis Graham was sent off in the 83rd minute for his second yellow. The visitors a few minutes later also had a man sent off for his second yellow, so the game did finish with 10 men on each side.

Close to the end of the match, Warminster’s Jack Miluk made a good run down the left wing forcing the keeper to make a save close to his right post. The game concluded and in summary, it was a solid and mature performance from Warminster and an enjoyable game for the 104 who braved the weather to watch.

Warminster Town next travel to league strugglers Portishead Town on Saturday 26th January, followed by a trip to league leaders Cheddar on Tuesday 29th for an evening kickoff.

Team: Ball, Baggs, Barnes, De Silva, Graham, Sisson, Miluk, Walton, Johnson, McKay, Mortimer-Taylor subs (*used) Churchyard*, Wright J*, Wright S, Collyer, Lisowski*

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *