Warminster Win Penalty Shoot Out

On Tuesday, November 26th Warminster Town travelled to Longwell Green Sports F.C. The home side flying high in the league were likely to be tough opposition for Town, and so it proved to be in this round of the Les Phillips Cup. The game finished 2 – 2 and Warminster went through on penalties 3 – 4

Warminster got off to a wonderful start when just under 30 seconds in, keeper, Nathan Ball kicked long and the ball bounced kindly into the back of the opposition’s net. It was one of those moments that at first, no one could believe had just happened. 

Longwell throughout the game had more possession and passed the ball well. They created chances which Ball saved or went flying past the posts or uprights. 

The second goal came when Jack Miluk in the 15th minute, took on the defenders on the left side of the penalty area after receiving the ball from a cross. Miluk worked around a defender, fired the shot which then deflected off another defender leaving the keeper no chance to save it.

The home side pulled one back with a free-kick taken on the left-hand side of the penalty area. Keary stepped up confidently to take the free-kick, and his low passed into the net close to Ball’s right-hand goal-post. 

The second half proved to be eventful, and Longwell was awarded a penalty in the 52nd minute, which was despatched by Crumb for the home side.  Shortly afterwards, Warminster’s keeper found himself sent to the sin bin, and Lisowski had to don the goalie’s shirt for the statutory 10 minutes. Lisowski was called into action and prevented a third goal for the home side.

With Longwell Green now level it was a test of nerve for both sides as the next goal would likely seal the victory.  The final whistle blew, which meant the game had to be settled by penalties.

Longwell went first, and the shot was saved by Ball diving to his left and pushing the ball safely away. Lewis Graham stepped up for The Town and sent the ball to the left of the keeper who dived the wrong way. Mortimer-Taylor gave the keeper no chance for Warminster’s second. Town’s third penalty was saved, making it 2 – 2.

Longwell’s keeper saved two penalties and scored the 5th one himself and saved Warminster’s 5th.

Ball saved the fourth penalty diving low to his left and trapping the ball by the upright. He repeated this for the 6th penalty too and then went onto to take Warminster’s sixth and placed the ball into the right-hand side of the net as the keeper dived the opposite way giving a 3 – 4 victory in the shoot out.

Warminster nominated Nathan Ball as “man of the match”, so his earlier sin was forgiven! In fairness, both keepers had a good game, and with five saves and a penalty goal each, made the shoot out exciting to watch. The Red & Blacks now look forward to another round in this cup.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *