Wells City 3 Warminster Town 2

Warminster Town travelled to Wells looking for their third away win of the season and make it three out of 3. The game, however, was won by Wells City. Wells going into the dressing room at halftime one goal ahead scored just after 11 minutes. The second half saw more goals with the final score at 3 – 2 to the home side.

Wells City has strengthed their squad this season with more experienced players, and this told on the day at The Athletic Ground. From early on in the match Wells put pressure on the visitors’ goal and went close in the opening minutes of the game. Jack Miluk in the 8th minute, battled on the left through the City defence and forced the keeper into blocking his shot at the near post.

The opening goal came shortly afterwards when a cross from the home side’s left and met by the head of Ross Padfield waiting in the 6-yard box and sent into the left-hand side of the goal much to the annoyance of manager, Andy Crabtree. Warminster went close just before halftime when Charlie Walton’s shot produced a fine save from the City keeper. 

Wells had proved difficult to breakdown and were much better in the air. Warminster’s passing and positioning on the pitch in this first-half were below the standard set in previous away games. Wells City looked extremely dangerous with any free kick taken inside Warminster’s half of the pitch, a lesson not learned that would cost the game in the second half. 

Wells got off to a flying start in the second half forcing a corner in less than a minute. The resulting corner from their left was met by the head once again of Ross Padfield who just sent the ball just wide of the post. It is worth mentioning that Padfield is probably one of the shortest players on the pitch but seemed to get his head to the ball all too easily. Wells went close on 55 minutes with another header this time not Padfield but their number 9 and fortunately, it went just over the bar.

On 57 minutes, Eban Mortimer-Taylor produced a shot which was saved relatively comfortably by the City keeper. Warminster equalised in the 63rd minute when Ryan Baggs lobbed in a ball cleared from a corner and found Lewis Graham, who with the slightest of touches puts the ball into the back of the net. The City players started to look a little rattled by this and were very vocal in trying to calm the nerves.  

The next goal came in the 75th minute when a free-kick, taken from Wells’ right dropped into the waiting group of players and once again Padfield was the man to get to the ball this time using his feet to get the ball home past Nathan Ball. Butler and Johnson were brought on for Warminster replacing Churchyard and Vincent shortly after the goal. 

Nathan Ball produced a good save in the 79th minute from a low-shot by Wells’ number 9. With 10 minutes remaining it was now time for that special moment to get Warminster back in the game. That moment came in the 85th minute. A cross from Mortimer-Taylor from the right found the head of Jack Miluk turning the ball into the left-hand side of the goal. Shanley was then substituted for striker Francois Allen. A point now would have been a good result from this game.

In the 88th minute as Warminster were in the process of clearing their lines, Mortimer-Taylor ran into blue shirts and lost the ball 30 yards out. In what appeared to be a rash move, Baggs went charging into one of the Wells players giving away a free kick in another dangerous area. By now, everyone should have been aware of how well City can get balls into the box and score.  

City took the free-kick, and once again that man Padfield popped up and headed the ball over Warminster’s keeper to make it a hat-trick and seal the victory for the home side. It was such a disappointing way to end the game after fighting back twice to level the score. Warminster can learn from this game and move on to the next one, which is going to be an exciting challenge!

The next game is on September 14th when the Hampshire team, Alresford Town come to Weymouth Street, Warminster in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase which gives teams to hope of playing a final at Wembley. Alresford Town is currently the leader in the Wessex Premier League, having won all five games this season so far. It will be an excellent display of football, and above-average attendance is very likely. Adults £5 concessions £3 and under 16’s and serving armed forces free. 

Team: Ball, Baggs, Barmes, Graham, McFerran, Chuchyard*, Miluk, Walton(c), Mortimer-Taylor, Vincent*, Shanley*

Subs (used*) Lisowski, De-Silva, Butler*, Johnson*, Allen*, 

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *